Thursday, October 16, 2008

Use Twitter To Gain Traffic


The first time I used Twitter, I really did not understand it. I merely thought it was another instant message platform that was faddish. I have stuck with it and learned more about it and its usefulness, especially in gaining targeted traffic. Not only have I used it effectively for this blog, but several other Wordpress BANS integrations of my own. One of my sites that I finally got around to converting over and posting on regularly blog wise, I increased traffic by 1000 plus unique hits in one week.

First of all there are a few tools that will help. First, sign up with a username related to your niche on Twitter. Secondly you will want to sign up for Twitterfeed and provide the URL for your blog's RSS feed, and how often it should post to your Twitter account. You will need an OpenID account as well. An OpenID is a standard account for providing a single sign on between web sites. You can register your an OpenID for free, or you may even be able to use your existing blog ID.

Next you will want to get in a regular habit of making some blog post. After about a week you can log into your Twitter account and search Twitter using your niche keywords or words related to your niche. You can also use this Twitter search feature as well, which searches their bio and interest. When you find a user that matches your search parameters, merely choose to follow the person. Make sure you fill out your own account info to include the URL to your niche site as well. After a few days, you just might be surprised how many people are following you back and you should see traffic coming in from your Twitter page.

Now this obviously will work better on some niches over other niches, but it is free and after the initial set up, your Twitter account will automatically post links to your blog post as you post them.

You can see my own Twitter page for this blog by clicking the link. Make sure to follow me as well. Good luck and happy Twittering.

Related Posts by Categories



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never really understood how Twitter works until now. I will give this a go. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

Twitter is a great tool for promotion and traffic and with the great WP twitter plug ins posting is so easy!
Thanks Soggy

Anonymous said...

Soggy,

Your readers should also check out iTweet, a robust web-based Twitter UI.

John Haydon

Anonymous said...

Thanks Soggy for this tip. I signed up with Twitter a while back but never really got into, seemed like it was just another IM like you said. Never thought about using it this way. I will have to get my Twitter "niche name"!

Followers

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter
     

    Build A Niche Store Blog. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted by Bloganol dot com Privacy Policy