Monday, May 4, 2009

No, BANS Is Not Dead


I have received a few emails over the last week from readers who are saying that they heard that BANS is dead and that they should not use it anymore. This is the furthest thing from the truth. I will say though that if you just put up an out of the box BANS site with little to no content, default category settings and default meta tags, be prepared to fail and get deindexed etc. etc.

I have mentioned several times that ebay listings are like ads. If you set up a plain html site with nothing but 20 outgoing ads on a multiple pages, you would likely suffer the same fate. The BANS platform is just that, a platform. It is what you do with the platform that makes a difference. BANS just makes it incredibly easy for someone with little to no technical knowledge to get started in online marketing and at the same time it makes it incredibly easy to put up a site that will fail miserably.

Do I still build straight BANS sites? No, not in a while, primarily because I use either straight Wordpress or a combination of BANS & Wordpress together. However I still have a full stable of straight BANS sites that perform well. I also have been playing with the free Blogger platform lately on some newer sites. This does not mean I do not trust BANS, I have just graduated off it because of my skill set and diversification, but it does not make it any less effective, especially for someone who is new to online marketing. If you have not graduated from it, rest easy, as you can still earn a fantastic living with it and it only if you build the way you are suppose to. The biggest thing you should concentrate on is building content thick, highly authoritative, engaging sites. But you should be doing that anyway regardless if you build with notepad, Front Page, Wordpress or whatever CMS you have chosen to use.

Related Posts by Categories



4 comments:

JR on May 4, 2009 at 7:53 PM said...

You know Soggy, everytime I read these posts, I just laugh...all the way to the bank that is :-)

People always want to just hit a button and make piles of cash, sorry, you gotta work for it and BANS is still a starting point, those that whine about BANS not working are those that are unwilling to do the work it takes for MMO and no software will ever work for them!

JR

Robert said...

Some of my favorite bloggers have turned their backs on Bans. I continue to use it in addition to a few other platforms and have not had any problems. I think most just do not understand how the search engines work and thus look for a scapegoat of some kind. Keep up the great work on your blog.

Coinblogger on May 5, 2009 at 6:20 AM said...

Hi Soggy,

I have a coin collecting blog that I write at http://www.coinblogger.com. I have been thinking about adding a BANS store to this blog like http://www.coinblogger.com/coin-store.

Considering my blog has about 100 pages of content already, do you think that I need to add more than a paragraph of content to my BANS pages?

If you were going to set up a BANS site at the above domain, how would you do it?

Thanks for your help,
Coinblogger

soggy on May 5, 2009 at 8:17 AM said...

I think I would get my EPN ID in those tiny links on that blog. That is what I would do with that site.

Followers

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter
     

    Build A Niche Store Blog. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted by Bloganol dot com Privacy Policy