Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Stop Fixing Things That Are Not Broken


I can vividly remember these words time and time again being uttered by my grandfather. It applies to this business as well. I received a few emails from two readers wanting my advice on some tips they recently had read. The sites were both ranking well and built in what I consider an acceptable fashion. They really had no real reason to make some site structure changes, so I advised not to do it. The same goes with what I suggested on Monday in regards to duplicate navigation links. If you are currently ranking and earning money, leave it alone.

If you go to make any significant changes to an already well ranking site, have a solid reason. Sure, EVERY site can be improved, but to make changes just to make changes with no solid reason is risky. Adding more content or optimizing pages for the better is one thing, but with any change, I highly suggest you note the change and the date it was made in case you need to go back to it. Even over optimizing can have adverse effects, so do so knowing that you can hurt yourself. The only thing I do to well ranking sites of mine is to add more content unless I come across an obvious error that I know for certain will not hurt by fixing.

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments:

Followers

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter
     

    Build A Niche Store Blog. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted by Bloganol dot com Privacy Policy