Tuesday, March 9, 2010

If I Had A Gun To My Head


I get some great questions on the various forums I frequent along with questions that come in through here. I have had a few "if I had a gun to my head" and money were tight would I choose product A or product B questions over the years. In so many words I have been asked this type of question a few dozen times. Today I was asked a version of the question in regards to "if money were tight and I had a gun to my head, where would I start?" First, if money is that tight, I would target several groups of keywords under a niche and open notepad and bang out content matching those keywords. Second, I would carefully research and select a domain name that reflected one, if not the parent keyword phrase in an exact match and borrow 8 bucks to register it. If you cant afford that, you can use a free Wordpress.com or Blogger.com blog and look for a match there. Next I would carefully PLAN, upload and organize all of my content onto the new site and properly SEO all the pages. I would add Adsense Ads to the site and then proceed to write a few other articles and start building backlinks via the free article directories along with commenting on some related type blog sites, build a few free Squidoo and Hubpages, submit to some link directories and start my trip to the top of Google. When I got my Google account over the $100.00 mark and got paid, I would repeat the process.

Seriously, if money is that tight, be frugal and do the steps. You CAN make money with free hosted blogging sites if you do the work correctly. Don't spend money used to feed your family when you can do nearly everything for free when you get started. Use Amazon, Commission Junction, Linkshare and ShareAsale the hard way. Copy and paste the code into the sites when you can't afford plugins. Offer to write content for others for some quick cash. Where there is a will, there is a way. If my entire empire collapsed tonight, I could start tomorrow and not spend a dime. So can you. It only depends if you want to commit yourself to the work. Is it harder without some tools? Absolutely, but it CAN be done. If I had a gun to my head, I would stop reading this blog post and get busy.

Related Posts by Categories



4 comments:

Junior said...

nice post Dave but if money was tight, why not sell the gun?? lol

soggy on March 9, 2010 at 9:07 PM said...

Maybe it is not your gun to sell. :wink:

Tao on March 10, 2010 at 4:58 AM said...

There are plenty of ways to start for free and using sites like Blogger or Hubpages are a good start for people not prepared to stump up the $9 (or whatever) for a domain.

Also, leveraging established sites like Hubpages also adds to your ability to rank quickly for long tail keywords.

Just start adding the backlinks and you are good to go!

JR on March 14, 2010 at 10:20 PM said...

Great post Dave, and when I started a few years back I did everything for free, I spent no money, and only after I got some insight and knowledge did I buy hosting and BANS, but so much can be done with "Bum Marketing" and free sites, if you really want it, anything is possible online.

Followers

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter
     

    Build A Niche Store Blog. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted by Bloganol dot com Privacy Policy