Monday, August 17, 2009

The Best Blog Post Ever?


OK, to say the best blog post ever is a little strong, but the latest offering by Rand Fishkin from SEOMoz, certainly ranks right up there. The post is entitled, Perfecting Keyword Targeting & On-Page Optimization and it clearly is one that should be bookmarked by veteran and newbie alike.

Before you jump on over there, I wanted to point out a few things I believe you should make strong note of.

Meta Keywords - I have still been filling this tag out myself by habit, but Rand makes a strong point on why one should not even bother with it any more. This is great because it is one less thing to deal with and the competition view point is a valid one.

Keyword Location in URL - Although not a huge rankings benefit as Rand notates, it is often overlooked, especially in top line navigation. Rand can test like nobody I have seen before and even if it is a slight ranking advantage, it is one nonetheless.

Word Separators - Do not bother with underscores, just not worth it. Wordpress defaults to hyphens, so if using BANS, make sure to use them there as well.

Alt Attribute & Image Filename - I have been a proponent of this for years although I do not use images as much as I should. Personally I will start trying to incorporate more of them myself.

Links in Content vs. Permanent Navigation - This notion is backed up in the new BANS Guide as well with the landing pages. The links to deeper review/product pages are in the content, not the navigation.

Link Location Footers - I recently mentioned this myself. If it does not belong in the footer, remove it. If your navigation is in the footer, move it up top.

Keyword Location - While pretty much an always understood, Rand stamps it with approval.

Components of Google's Ranking Algorithm Graph - I do not know about you, but I printed it out and hung it on my wall. If it was the only item of the post, it still would be a great blog post.

Content - You know me and content. Rands' statement on the virality of content is one everyone of us could do a better job of. I will be address this soon in a separate blog post.

In closing, you can see why someone like myself would question if this is the best blog post ever. I would bookmark it and print it, just in case it was meant for his pay customers only. It is that good.

Related Posts by Categories



2 comments:

Tao on August 18, 2009 at 5:26 AM said...

wow.

That is a great find Dave.
I should read the SEOMoz site more often.

It is not a regular thing that you get real, researched advice on exactly what to do to rank well for your keywords!

Cool.

Michael on August 18, 2009 at 7:32 AM said...

Thanks for finding the best stuff for us to check out Soggy. That is one reason I check out your blog nearly every day. Once again you have delivered.

Followers

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter
     

    Build A Niche Store Blog. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted by Bloganol dot com Privacy Policy