Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Why Wouldn't You Use Wordpress?


Many may have seen the post I made on the BANS forum about it not being so private anymore. I am not going to go into depth about it here. It is what it is. I owe my empire I have today to what BANS once was. It made me re-learn everything I thought I knew as well as introduced me to database driven CMS (content management systems). Fast forward now three years and I consider myself a Wordpress pro. Now Wordpress was around long before BANS and I had several early encounters with it. I just was not ready for it at the time. Today, it is a platform like no other. Great plugins are created daily both free and pay and there is almost nothing you can not do with it. Sure, I know there is Joomla along with a few others, but they all pale in comparison to Wordpress.

The migration away from BANS is nothing new. It has been going on for years. If you have not migrated away from it yourself, you are way behind. I have a few stragglers myself, but I probably know more code than you do as well. By the end of the year, everything I have will be 100% Wordpress and I am close to that now. So why haven't you made the move yet? Wordpress is easier than ever now to learn. Is it a time factor? What is it? Luckily over time, BANS has had several great contributors help keep the platform alive. Are you still relying on all those fixes and patches? Are you 100% sure everything is working the way it should? I doubt it.

The best thing about Wordpress is that it is so widely used now. Will it be the last great platform ever? I doubt it, but should one come along that is better, I almost guarantee there will be an easy push button method to convert one to the other. This should teach a lesson going forward to everyone as well. Why use a smaller CMS when you can use Wordpress. Sure, what you have may be supported today, but it may not be in the future. Just look at BANS. Wordpress has a long track record. It is secure, it is damn good. Why would you use anything else as a CMS? If you are using something to get your feet wet with, fine, but you should be doing so with the full intentions of graduating to Wordpress as soon as you are up to speed.

Related Posts by Categories



3 comments:

Unknown on July 6, 2010 at 8:58 PM said...

Soggy, I started using wordpress about 3 months ago. I kept putting it off because I was so comfortable with BANS. But I've got to say I wish I would have done it sooner. There is so much you can do with it! Yes it takes some time to figure it out but it's well worth it. I too have to thank BANS for getting me started but as you said it's time to move on and wordpress is the way to go. I would also like to thank you for this blog, I've learned so much from it. Dave (55wed55)

Mike on July 7, 2010 at 2:27 AM said...

My only concern with Wordpress is that it is the weapon of choice for affiliate marketers and responsible for a lot of spam sites.

Hopefully Google well never choose to penalize it but with Google you can never be sure.

That said Wordpress is a fantastic tool and I use it exclusively nowadays.

Any more news on the BANS/Wordpress conversion plugin?

Ferryman said...

Wordpress is cool, but I find myself working with bans over and over again - it's not really bans though, because the only thing original on it are the menus. With comments, breadcrumbs, mass adding pages etc. it's really more like wordpress anyway...

Followers

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter
     

    Build A Niche Store Blog. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted by Bloganol dot com Privacy Policy